Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Insurance Guidance Following London Riots !!!

The recent rioting and disturbances across the UK are of great concern to us all. If you have suffered damage or losses to property by the rioting then we would advise you to speak to your insurance broker or insurer immediately to ensure any claim is dealt with as soon as possible.

Losses caused by rioting can be recovered from the local Police Authority in whose areas that damage occured under the Riot Damages Act (1886), but claims must be made within 14 days of the incident to the authority. The definition of a riot is that '12 or more persons must be present together and use or threaten unlawful violence for a common purpose and the conduct of them is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety'.

The Act does not cover cars left on the public highway, but damage to vehicles should still be reported to your insurer immediately.

Therefor if you have any losses, please report the incident immediately so your insurers can look to recover the losses from the necessary authorities and avoid your policy suffering future premium increases and avoidable terms.

Gary Hodgson CeRGI
GJT Hodgson Insurance Services.

No comments: